The Avro Vulcan played an important role as a strategic bomber from 1953-84. For more than 30 years during the height of the Cold War, this aircraft armed with nuclear bombs was ready to deter foreign nations such as the Soviet Union from attacking Great Britain. Operated by the RAF’s V-bomber force, the Vulcan was a delta-wing design that flew at subsonic speeds at high altitude. Its cruising speed of Mach 0.86 and small radar cross-section made it ideal for penetrating enemy airspace to deliver its nuclear payload should the need have arisen. A total of 134 Vulcans were manufactured, with the second tranche known as the B.2 being the most common. One of the units to operate the B.2 was No.617 Squadron based at RAF Scampton in Lincolnshire. This was the Vulcan's home airbase throughout the 1950s and 1960s. Commonly called "Dambusters" because of its WWII exploits, No.617 Squadron operated B.2s until it was temporarily disbanded at the end of 1981.
The B.2 featured larger and thinner wings, while a greater fuel capacity offered a cruising range of 7,400km. It also had improved equipment such as electronics and radar. This Dragon Warbirds fully finished model is precisely made to 1/200 scale. The markings depict a Vulcan B.2 from the aforementioned No.617 Squadron operating from RAF Scampton in 1964. This model commemorates the important role the Vulcan played in the Cold War for a period of three decades before the bomber was eventually superseded by the Tornado.